Assistant Director - Chatham Area Public Library
A complete job description is available on the library’s website, www.chatham.lib.il.us under Employment Opportunities.
The Chatham Area Public Library District seeks a dynamic, creative and outgoing leader for its Assistant Director position. The Chatham Area Public Library employs 33 full-time and part-time staff and has an operating budget of $815,000 (FY12). It is governed by a seven member board of trustees. Chatham is a bedroom community of Springfield that has seen dramatic growth over the past 20 years. The Chatham Area Public Library District population is 15,000 (as of the 2005 Census).
The Chatham Area Public Library is 31,000 square feet that features a computer lab, the Opal Lee Chatham Local History / Genealogy Room, five meeting and four study rooms, the Jessica Hay Toddler Area and the Friends of the Library Bahlow Bookstore and Bank and Trust Café. The Library has very active Friends of the Library Group, a Foundation, Friends of Genealogy and Art Committee.
The Assistant Director reports to the Library Director as a member of the Administration staff and assists in execution, planning, directing and overseeing the activities and operations of the Library. In absence of the Library Director, the Assistant Director serves as the person in charge of the Library.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An innovator and creative problem solver
- A skilled leader and manager with a proven track record of motivating and developing staff
- A change agent with a belief in working as a team and in staff empowerment
- Politically astute with the ability to communicate with the community, stakeholders, peers and elected officials
- A strong multi-tasker with the ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively in order to determine the proper course of action
The ideal candidate must have:
- Computer skills; minimum Microsoft Office, email, social networking and some website development
- A Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited university
- At least 2 years of public library work experience
- Supervisory and budgetary experience desirable
- Knowledge of Illinois Library laws preferred
Salary range: $35,000 – 37,000 with a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply: Email your cover letter, resume, and three professional letters of reference as attachments to Amy Ihnen, Library Director at Director@chathamlib.org. Emailed applications will be accepted until the position is filed.