August 24, 2017
All IHLS offices will be closed in observance of Labor Day on Monday, September 4, 2017. Delivery service will not be provided. See our Office Hours page for a listing of IHLS Holidays.
The SHARE Director, Chris Dawdy, is retiring. Her last day in the office will be September 1 but she will be working on a limited basis as a Grants Specialist.
One of the SHARE Circulation & Resource Sharing Specialists, Lesley Zavediuk, will be leaving her position. Her last day in the office will be Friday, August 25, but starting in September she will be available via email a few days a week.
We will miss seeing both of them in the office but we are happy that they will still be available.
The Illinois State Library has asked for our continued cooperation in quarterly item counts. If your library is not a SHARE member, please manually count your items for the week, fill out a quarterly count sheet, and submit it to your hub at the end of that week. You can find a copy of the count sheet on the IHLS Delivery page. SHARE members: your statistics will be pulled from Polaris which means you do not need to manually count.
The count dates are as follow:
- September 10 – 16, 2017
- November 12 – 18, 2017
- February 18 – 24, 2018
- May 13 – 19, 2018
The Demco discount has been updated on the Vendor Discount page on the IHLS website.
Congratulations to all the libraries who provided such awesome community service during the eclipse…from providing glasses, to programming, to handing out bottles of water. You are all great examples of what a library can mean to a community.
The Board of Library Trustees and the staff of the Pinckneyville Public Library cordially invite you to attend their 100th Anniversary Open House on August 25, 2017 from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
A list of available grants are posted on the IHLS website. Here you will find information on grants suitable for libraries that you might be interested in applying for. There are also several ‘Ongoing’ grants on the bottom of the list.
- Lowe’s Community Partners Grants – Deadline: August 25, 2017
- Libraries Ready to Code (ALA) – Deadline: August 31, 2017
- Community Foundation for the Land of Lincoln – Deadline: September 1, 2017
- Media Literacy @ Your Library (ALA) – Deadline: September 11, 2017
- Illinois Humanities Vision Grants – Deadline: September 15, 2017
- Illinois Humanities Action Grants – Deadline: September 15, 2017
- Illinois Humanities Multiplier Grants – Deadline: September 15, 2017
- Lowe’s Toolbox for Education Grants – Deadline: September 29, 2017
- Illinois Humanities Illinois Speaks Micro-Grants – Deadline: October 15, 2017
- Vernon Library Supplies Grants: English Literacy for New Immigrants – Deadline: October 31, 201
- New ideas in Congress for supporting libraries
- Carlinville Library celebrates anniversary display of 90 years of bestsellers
- Library has unique list of offerings (Effingham Public Library)
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Friday, August 25, 2017
- Book Cataloging, Marion Carnegie
Tuesday, August 29, 2017
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, IHLS Edwardsville
- Barcoding II—Item Records, IHLS Edwardsville
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, Freeburg Area Library
Wednesday, August 30, 2017
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, Effingham PL
- Adult Services Forum, Vespasian Warner PLD
- Barcoding II—Item Records, Effingham PL
Wednesday, September 6, 2017
- IHLS Member Library Directors’ Chat, Adobe Connect
Thursday, September 7, 2017
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, IHLS Carbondale
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, Decatur PL
- Barcoding II—Item Records, IHLS Carbondale
- Barcoding II—Item Records, Decatur PL
Friday, September 8, 2017
- Free Form Free For All, Chatham Area PLD
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
- SHARE Catalogers Training Session, Adobe Connect
Wednesday, September 13, 2017
- SHARE Reports (includes SimplyReports), Mt. Zion DL
- Library Security, GoToWebinar
- Opioid Crisis Town Hall: Library Needs and Responses (WJ) – September 12, 2017
- Introduction to Library Security (RAILS) – September 13 & 20, 2017
- The Name of the Game: Playing Tabletop Games to Build 21st Century Skills (WJ) – September 26, 2017
- Bilingual Storytimes: Reaching Through the Language Barrier (WJ) – October 12, 2017