The Cataloging Maintenance Center (CMC) is busy preparing for the Illinois Library Association (ILA) conference that will be held October 20-22. The CMC is presenting Looking at the Past for Your Future on October 20, 1:45-2:45 PM.
The program is a panel discussion on cataloging and maintaining a genealogical and historical collection, including how to catalog the items, with specific examples from different types of organizations and libraries with local history and genealogy collections. We will cover questions researchers ask, what resources and databases a library should have, and how to write local history and genealogy books.
The presentation will feature:
- Bill Kemp, McLean County Museum of History, Bloomington, IL
- Lacy McDonald, Genealogy & Local History Manager, Hayner Public Library District
- Cindy Reinhardt, Madison County Historical Society and author of LeClaire and A History of Nicol Sand Company, as well as numerous articles
- Dr. Pamela Thomas, Bibliographic Project Coordinator, IHLS
- Cheri Schuler-Faust, CMC Cataloger, IHLS
The CMC will also hold virtual office hours throughout the conference.
The Cataloging Maintenance Center is helping Illinois libraries catalog special collections to make them available to the public. If you have a special collection that needs to be cataloged, the CMC may be able to help. Contact them at 618.656.3216 x503 or visit the CMC webpage.
Funding for the Cataloging Maintenance Center is provided through the Illinois State Library and the Secretary of State and administered by Illinois Heartland Library System. The CMC provides statewide cataloging support for Illinois libraries, including free original and copy cataloging of eligible special collections, consultation on metadata projects, database cleanup for LLSAPs, cataloging training, and more. Learn more at www.illinoisheartland.org/cmc.