St. Louis Public Library is seeking a Regional Library Manager with leadership and management experience to join our administrative team. This position will play a critical role in shaping the future of the library. Our ideal candidate is someone who is innovative and engaged to help us move forward with our primary mission as a progressive and customer-centered public library providing vital services to the people of St. Louis. This position provides direct supervision of staff at a Regional Branch and a mini-branch as well as two Branch Managers who run smaller neighborhood locations. The role will require high-level decision-making in regards to customer service, staffing, quality programming, and effective outreach.
In this role you will:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of a regional branch and associated smaller branches.
- Motivate and coach staff through effective communication and embracing change.
- Work with librarians and managers system-wide to develop and execute strong public services.
- Assist in the development of system policies and strategic plans.
You will need to be:
- Friendly, outgoing, and able to build relationships at all levels.
- Strategic about engaging staff to meet and exceed library goals.
- Able to see the big picture and promote system-wide consistency and excellence of service.
- Capable of effectively presenting information to executive management, public groups and boards of directors.
- Flexible, positive, and willing to work with customers and staff to successfully resolve problems.
You will need to have:
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited university.
- Four years of progressive experience in public libraries.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
- Strong communication, writing and speaking skills.
You will get:
- Competitive salary range starting at $60,600/year
- Medical, dental and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays, and sick days
- Pension plan through the Employees Retirement System of the City of St. Louis
- Professional development
St. Louis Public Library is a true urban library, representing the historic center of the St. Louis region: the City of St. Louis. With its roots in the mid-1800s, St. Louis Public Library has a long history of innovation and service, a large and historic collection including rare books and extensive special collections, and a diverse and dedicated staff. Our technology is a major resource throughout the City and beyond, and the Library makes an enormous investment in technology annually to keep them state of the art. We operate 17 locations in a relatively small city of 61 square miles. These range from the magnificent Central Library – one of the world’s great public libraries – to regional and neighborhood libraries that vary in size and design but are centerpieces in their communities. St. Louis was an early, passionate supporter of library services to children, and that remains a core value and mission. Outreach into our varied communities, marketing the Library’s remarkable strengths, and working with civic and cultural partners to benefit St. Louisans are all closely held values and goals at the Library.
About Schlafly Library:
- Built in 2002
- 25,000 square feet
- Collection size approximation is 52,000 items (includes children’s, adult, and international language materials)
- 1 Quiet room/study room
- 3 meeting rooms (one auditorium, one multi-purpose room & one smaller conference room)
About the neighborhood:
Schlafly is located in the bustling Central West End, an exciting and diverse residential neighborhood with people of all races, ethnicities, and socioeconomic classes. The neighborhood is located between St Louis University and Forest Park and forms one of the largest regional centers of employment with the combination of the medical campus, the college of Pharmacy and the Cortex Innovation District.
If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, please apply at https://www.slpl.org/slpl-employment-application/ and submit your cover letter and resume.