The Jacksonville Public Library (JPL) is seeking a Director to lead its historic Carnegie library. Opened in 1903, JPL is a city tax-supported library serving a community of 18,000 residents. It has an annual budget of more than $700,000.
Jacksonville, Illinois, is located between St. Louis and Chicago, and near the state capitol of Springfield. Rich in history, Jacksonville has thriving fine arts opportunities and hosts museums, historic sites and other multi-cultural venues. Once known as “The Athens of the West,” the city has a robust connection to education: it is home to a 2-year community college extension site and a 4-year liberal arts college as well as state institutions serving visually impaired and deaf students.
The director will work closely with a staff of 6 full-time and 6 part-time employees. In addition, the director should have a good working relationship with the 9-member Board of Trustees.
JPL delivers not only standard library services to all ages, but also provides unique program offerings such as a Music under the Dome concert series, frequent technology presentations, author talks, and summer reading programs for both children and adults. An active Friends of the Library group supports the work of the JPL.
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited library school preferred
- Progressively responsible experience of 3 to 5 years’ duration in professional library work desired
- Extensive knowledge of the methods, policies, practices, principles, procedures, and technological requirements of professional library work
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of general administration and supervision
- Ability to direct, coordinate, plan and administer a public library program
- Ability to supervise the work of others, and delegate duties effectively
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with the public, and civic and professional groups
- Ability to train for effective succession planning
DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Planning and coordinating the operation and administration of the library
- Formulating library goals and objectives in conjunction with the Board of Trustees and staff
- Developing library policies
- Implementing policies, procedures and programs to achieve formulated objectives
- Hiring, supervising and evaluating the work activities of all library personnel and maintaining personnel records for all staff
- Preparing the annual budget in conjunction with the Board of Trustees and administering it for the period established
- Selecting all library materials, including books, periodicals, audio and visual recordings, and other materials for the adult department of the library
- Evaluating and developing library collections by periodic weeding, replacing and updating of materials
- Making recommendations or decisions on purchase, lease, or rental of materials and equipment and related services
- Submitting to the Board of Trustees monthly and annual reports on library activities
- Directing overall maintenance of the library building and grounds
- Cooperating as a team member with the library staff in performing any professional or nonprofessional duties essential to the achievement of efficient library operations
Compensation is negotiable and will be based upon experience and qualifications. This is a full-time position with attractive benefits including paid time off, health insurance, and participation in IMRF.
Please apply on or before May 30, 2022, by submitting a cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing Jacksonville Public Library
ATTN: Board of Trustees Personnel Chair
201 West College Avenue
Jacksonville, IL 62650
Please visit jaxpl.org to learn more!