Herrin City Library is seeking an enthusiastic, resourceful, creative addition to our team who is passionate about providing an exceptional library experience for children. The successful applicant will possess excellent communication and customer service skills. Responsibilities include: answering reference questions, preparing and conducting programs for children and families, and cataloging and collection development. Position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends, and requires periodic participation and attendance at library events and meetings.
Qualifications: Education, Training and/or Experience
- Degree(s) in Elementary Education, Children’s Literature, Library Science and/or related field desired
- Three years of relevant library and supervisory experience
- Progressive experience with computer technology and audio-visual equipment preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, social media, cataloging, integrated library systems, Polaris and OCLC
- Specialized knowledge of children’s materials and services
Salary Range: The starting salary will depend on the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience. A benefits package is included. Salary is competitive and negotiable based on qualifications. This position is covered by the Illinois Municipal Employee’s Retirement Fund (IMRF). Vacation, sick leave, and paid holidays are also included and are commensurate with those of other city employees.
Position Title: CHILDREN’S/ASSISTANT LIBRARIAN
Department: Children’s Services
Reports To: Library Director
The Herrin City Library is committed to our mission of excellence, professionalism and learning, so that we can support our values of literacy, creativity, innovation, customer service, respect, collaboration and fiscal responsibility. The Children’s Librarian assists in accomplishing that mission by providing reference services, conducting programs for children, patrons, and maintaining and/or cataloging new materials of the library collection.
Public Service & Supervisory:
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and to maintain accurate records
- Ability to tactfully and effectively communicate with and work with patrons and staff in a personable and professional manner.
- Answers reference questions and locates library materials for patrons
- Arranges interlibrary loans and reserves
- Ability to work effectively with current and emerging technologies.
- Understanding of patron confidentiality requirements and ethics responsibilities under Illinois law
- Alerts supervisor to problems encountered in work routines
- Attends meetings and serves on internal and external committees
- Oversees the library in the absence of the Library Director
- Maintains and increases knowledge and skills through attendance at meetings
conferences, training seminars and in-service training sessions
- Performs additional duties and assignments, as requested
- Displays and promotes library material
- Examines material and database records for errors
- Maintains knowledge of available materials and monitors patron reading preferences
- Reads reviews of library material regularly
- Knowledge of a wide range of children’s books and authors
- Selects, maintains and catalogs materials for the collection according to professional standards
- Conducts library tours and school and community visits
- Creates bulletin boards, flannel-board stories, finger puppets and other program materials
- Prepares and conducts children’s programs, summer reading program, and story hours for children and patrons
- Prepares annotated bibliographies, booklists, and handouts
- Selects age appropriate materials and activities for programs
How to Apply:
Fill out application from our website @ https://herrincitylibrary.org/
Please include a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts and three letters of references. Application deadline is 6/24/2022 or until the position is filled. Applications may be submitted via email to Susan Mullen, Library Director @ email@example.com or via mail or in person at 120 N 13th Street, Herrin, IL 62948, Attn: Susan Mullen. A pre-employment background check and physical are required. The Herrin City Library is funded by city taxes and supplemented by state funds; therefore, all members of the board and library staff are required to meet the city residency requirements. The City of Herrin is an equal opportunity employer.