Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS) is a quasi-governmental, not-for-profit organization that supports the libraries of southern and parts of central Illinois. As one of the three library systems in Illinois--and one of two multi-type library systems--IHLS is the library's support partner, serving libraries of all types and the librarians, paralibrarians, and trustees that work for them. IHLS facilitates access to shared resources through interlibrary loan delivery service and support of the SHARE automation consortium; advocates for libraries and provides tools for libraries to advocate for themselves; facilitates networking opportunities; negotiates member discounts and group purchases; promotes innovation and the development of community partnerships; and develops and shares continuing education opportunities, including an annual IHLS Member Day, a free day of continuing education available to IHLS member libraries of all types and offering Professional Development Hours for school librarians. IHLS also provides access to statewide programs including grant opportunities and cataloging support through both the Cataloging Maintenance Center.
To support member libraries of all types in providing quality library services. IHLS facilitates access to shared resources, advocates for libraries, promotes innovation and develops community partnerships.
Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS) empowers libraries to embrace innovation and collaboration.
IHLS staff and board commit to the following values in the management and operation of IHLS
- Innovation and leadership
- We are innovative and creative and exercise leadership in developing programs and services that meet the needs of IHLS diverse multi-type libraries.
- We engage members and draw on their expertise in the development and improvement of programs and services.
- Integrity and Respect
- We operate IHLS ethically with accountability and transparency.
- Our diverse staff works together with trust and respect for our individual talents in order to provide the best service possible.
- We value collaboration among members with other library organizations and community partners.
- We practice clear and open communication with members, staff and other stakeholders.
- Resource Sharing
- IHLS facilitates, supports and promotes resource sharing to assist member libraries of all types to be of service to their users.
- Member Engagement and Networking
- IHLS communicates with and engages member libraries of all types and promotes member networking to assist libraries in improving their services.
- Consulting and CE
- IHLS provides information and assistance to member libraries of all types through consulting and continuing education to improve the expertise of their staff.
- Leadership and Innovation
- IHLS provides leadership and embraces innovation to assist member libraries of all types to better serve their users.
- IHLS advocates for the role of libraries and library staff to build strong libraries and strong communities.
- Stewardship and Sustainability
- IHLS stewards its resources to ensure maximum benefit to member libraries of all types and to taxpayers.
IHLS covers 28,141 square miles and serves a population of 2,248,634.
There are 524 member libraries: 30 Academic, 227 Public, 235 School and 32 Special.
Of the 524 IHLS member libraries, 341 at 476 locations participate in the IHLS automation consortium known as SHARE.