The mission of the Cataloging Maintenance Center (CMC) is to provide cataloging support to Illinois library system-member libraries.
Supported in part by a grant from the Illinois State Library, the CMC is currently operated by the Illinois Heartland Library System at the Champaign and Edwardsville locations.
Since 2001, the CMC has been upgrading bibliographic records for Local Library System Automation Programs (LLSAPs) throughout the state. The CMC is also a source for other cataloging assistance including:
- Database cleanup
- Original or copy cataloging of eligible collections
- Cataloging training
- Assistance with general cataloging questions, including questions on RDA (Resource Description and Access)
- Metadata consultation
Eligibility for CMC service
- Requesting library must be a library system member: Illinois Heartland Library System (IHLS), Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS), Chicago Public Library (CPL)
- Eligible collections for original or copy cataloging include genealogy, local history, and special collections (i.e., local authors, community cookbooks, government documents, etc.)
- Eligible collections of material in most modern European languages can be accommodated
Guidelines for CMC service
- Before sending items for cataloging, please contact the CMC Staff to determine eligibility.
- For metadata consultation and training, please contact Erin Rose.
- Please send items through system delivery (IHLS) or through ILDS (RAILS, CPL). Please provide contact information and make sure your items are identified/property stamped for your location. Ship all items marked with the current ILDS label including items shipped within IHLS.
- Send as many items that will fit in a box. The items should not weigh more than 40 pounds.
- In some circumstances, CMC staff may be able to visit your library to complete the cataloging. Travel by CMC staff will be on a limited basis, depending on several factors (i.e., availability of staff, distance, size of collection to be cataloged, condition of collection, etc.). Wifi capability is required.
- Items will be cataloged in the order they are received with turnaround time varying depending on the scope of the project and other factors. Most items will be returned within 30 days.
- CMC staff will create an original bibliographic record in OCLC or will supply an existing OCLC record. Records will be exported to the local database according to your LLSAP’s procedures. What library classification would you like added to the OCLC record?
- CMC staff will not create item/holding records for individual copies.
- When sending items written by local authors, please provide information about the author's relationship to the state of Illinois (current or previous resident of Illinois, works or worked in Illinois, etc.) and any other pertinent information.
For questions on:
Cataloging questions and collection eligibility:
Metadata consultation and Training:
Educational materials about the CMC:
The Cataloging Maintenance Center (CMC) is funded in part by a grant that was awarded by the Illinois State Library, a Department of the Office of Secretary of State, using funds provided by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services, under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). The CMC is currently operated by Illinois Heartland Library System at their Champaign and Edwardsville, Ill., locations.